This tropical kombucha drink is a tequila mocktail that’s perfect for your next pool party or summer soiree. It’s light, refreshing and not too sweet. It has a spicy little kick from zero proof tequila balanced with mango, lime and tangy kombucha. The flirty garnish is totally optional, but the drink is so easy to make why not have some extra fun decorating it?
What’s in this Tequila Mocktail?
The “spirit” is non-alcoholic Ritual Zero Proof Tequila. Certainly, you can sub in tequila for friends who wish to imbibe. This particular tequila substitute is a favorite since it’s widely available at most beverage retailers as well as online. It fits the flavor profile of a tequila and provides a nice little smooth burn at the end that surprised me the first time I tried it.
Next up is a combination of lime juice and mango nectar. The lime brings out that signature sour margarita taste. The mango helps create balance by bringing some helpful sweetness to the party for contrast with all the other sour elements.
If you’re unfamiliar with mango nectar it’s available at most grocery stores as well as online. The difference between mango juice and mango nectar is that the juice is made by extracting the water from the fruit where nectar is made by combining pureed fruit with the juice and sometimes additional sweeteners.
Mango nectar is generally sweeter than mango juice. If you’re minding your sugar, feel free to sub in mango juice in this recipe.
Last up in the mix is kombucha. I have a lot of favorites when it comes to kombucha. This time around I used a pineapple ginger variety from Vitalitea. Any fruit flavored variety will work here but I opted for pineapple to keep with the “tropical” theme.
You can also toss a few slices of jalapeno into the shaker if you like a little extra spiciness in your drink. This is totally optional, but we’re fans of fire here.
I admit I got a little wild here since the recipe doesn’t call for pineapple or lemon.
What the heck, right?
But, I’m publishing this recipe in the height of citrus season here in Phoenix and beautiful Meyer Lemons abound. You could easily swap in limes instead of the lemons pictured.
As for the pineapple fronds, they don’t add any flavor and are purely decorative. But, they make me feel like I’m on the beach in Cabo as I sip this boocharita so a worthwhile investment in my mind.Print
Tropical Kombucha Mocktail
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: drinks
A light, refreshing and not too sweet kombucha tequila mocktail with a spicy little kick from zero proof tequila, sweet mango nectar, lime juice and pineapple kombucha.
- 4.5 oz mango nectar
- 3 oz Ritual Zero Proof Tequila
- 1.5 oz lime juice
- 2 fresh sliced jalapeno coins
- 1 12 oz can pineapple kombucha
- Optional garnish: limes, salted rim, and pineapple fronds
- Start by salting the rim of your margarita glass. Combine 1/4 cup of margarita or chunky kosher salt with 1 Tbs red jalapeno chili flakes and pour out onto a small dish for dipping. Then add 2Tbs agave nectar to a small dish and dip the rim of a margarita glass into the agave nectar so the rim is coated. Then dip the agave nectar dipped rim into the salt mixture so that the salt evenly coats the rim. Set glasses aside while you prepare the drink.
- Combine 4.5oz mango nectar, 3oz Ritual Zero Proof Tequila, and 1/5 oz lime juice in a cocktail shaker with ice. Optionally add in 2 slices of fresh jalapeno coins if you want some extra kick. Then shake well to combine.
- Fill your prepared margarita glass to the top with ice then pour the juice and tequila mixture through the strainer on the mouth of the shaker over the ice.
- Next, fill the rest of the glass with pineapple kombucha. Stir and enjoy!
Keywords: kombucha, margarita, lime, pineapple, tequila, non-alcholic
Leave a Reply