Spaghetti Pie is the best solution when you end up with leftover spaghetti noodles. The spaghetti becomes a savory pie crust topped with your favorite marinara, Italian sausage, and melty mozzarella cheese.
Baked spaghetti meets deep dish pizza in one of my own childhood favorites.
What’s in spaghetti pie?
I always end up with leftover noodles when I make spaghetti for my family. I cook up the 1 lb box because I hate leaving half used boxes in the pantry, but then I end up with extra cooked noodles that have to be eaten. That’s where this recipe is a champ.
Spaghetti pie has a spaghetti noodle crust made with egg and cheese and noodles. Then layered on top is sweet Italian sausage, your favorite marinara sauce and topped with melty mozzarella cheese. It’s spaghetti, it’s pie, it’s pizza, all in one.
How to make spaghetti pie
It’s easy (like all recipes on the internet 😉 ). But really, it is.
It starts with a crust made of eggs, cheese and the leftover noodles. Mix those things together and bake them for 20 minutes to set the crust.
Next it’s on to the toppings including the mandatory marinara, ground Italian pork sausage, and the melty mozzarella cheese.
When it comes to marinara, go with what you like best. I’m a fan of Rao’s, but you might have a homemade marinara that’s to die for. Either option works.
Important Note about Noodles
One important note about your noodles. Do not rinse the noodles after you cook and drain them. When you rinse the noodles, it water-logs the pasta preventing it from sticking to itself with the help of the eggs and cheese. If you rinse it, the crust won’t hold its form and you’ll have a mess on your hands!
Also, I know it will be difficult, but you need to wait at least five to ten minutes before slicing into this beauty. Just like lasagna, you have to let the layers settle and set.
Other Recipes with Spaghetti NoodlesPrint
Spaghetti with meat sauce topped with melty cheese all in pie form! Pizza meets pasta in one hearty entree meal.
- 8 oz spaghetti, prepared according to package directions *do not rinse after cooking!
- 1lb sweet Italian sausage
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup parmesan
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 16 oz shredded mozz
- 25 oz marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Cook the 1 lb sweet Italian sausage over medium high heat in a sauté pan, breaking it up with the back of a spatula or spoon so that it’s crumbled, like ground beef. Once cooked through, remove it from the heat and drain off the excess fat. Put the cooked sausage to the side until it’s time to assemble the pie.
- Add 2 eggs, 1/4 cup of milk and 1/2 tsp salt in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Combine the egg mixture, 8 ounces of the shredded mozzarella, 1/4 cup parmesan and 8 ounces of prepared spaghetti pasta together in a large bowl until thoroughly mixed.
- Spray non-stick spray onto a standard 9″ pie plate. Fill the pie plate with the pasta mixture, smash to fit and press it up along the sides so that it will make a pie crust.
- Bake the “crust” at 375F for 20 minutes uncovered in the center rack of the oven until the pasta is set.
- Then, take the “crust” out of the oven and top with the cooked sausage, and 25oz of marinara sauce and remaining mozzarella. If it seems like it’s too much sauce, reserve some of it that you can serve on the side with the final dish.
- Bake the pie for another 20 min at 375F uncovered on the center rack in the oven until the top is brown and bubbly, like pizza.
- After the pie is baked, take it out of the oven and allow it to cool for five minutes so that it holds its form when you slice into it.
Keywords: spaghetti, spaghetti pie, baked pasta, dinner, entree, sausage, pasta, marinara