Green Chili Egg Casserole is our family’s favorite breakfast casserole recipe with a southwest flavor. It’s super easy, mild in flavor and can be made the night before to make your morning a breeze.
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 10 large eggs
- 1 7oz can diced green chilis
- 24 oz small curd cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 16 oz shredded colby jack cheese (or cheddar cheese)
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Pour half of the melted butter into a 9 x 13 baking dish and reserve the other half
- Add the 10 large eggs, 1 7oz can diced green chilis, 24oz small curd cottage cheese, 1/2 cup all purpose flour, 1 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt into a large mixing bowl and mix by hand or with a hand mixer until fully incorporated
- Add the 16 oz shredded colby jack cheese (or cheddar cheese) into the bowl and fold in until fully combined with the egg mixture.
- Pour the egg mixture into the 9 x 13 baking dish and smooth out to the edges so it fills the entire baking dish.
- Drizzle the remaining half of the melted butter evenly over the top of the egg mixture
- Place the casserole on the center rack in the preheated oven and bake for 45 minutes at 350F
- You’ll know it’s done when the top is slightly golden and the eggs are fully set. You should be able to shake the pan lightly and see that the eggs ‘jiggle’ but don’t ‘slosh’ (yes, technical terms…)
- Can be made overnight. Just follow all the steps to the recipe the night before, except for don’t bake it. Combine all the ingredients and add them to the baking dish, then cover it with plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator. The next morning, take the casserole out of the fridge before preheating the oven to take a bit of the chill off before baking. Preheat the oven and follow through with baking it for 45, possibly 55 minutes if it’s still very cold when it goes in the oven.
- Feel free to add chopped cooked bacon or diced green onions.
- You can substitute your favorite cheese in place of the colby jack cheese. Cheddar, mozzarella and pepper jack are all great options.
Keywords: egg, egg casserole, breakfast, green chili egg casserole, easy breakfast casserole