Fudgy chocolate cookies are soft and chewy, loaded with chocolate chips, and are a chocolate lover’s dream. Part cookie, part brownie and totally indulgent.
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening, softened
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar (packed)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup of chocolate chips **or 1/4 cup each of different types of chocolate chips**
- Preheat the oven to 375F
- Combine the 1/4 cup butter, 1/4 cup shortening and 1 1/2 cups of light brown sugar into the bowl of a stand mixer (or large bowl and using a hand mixer) and cream together until incorporated.
- Add the 2 eggs to the stand mixer and continue to beat until fully incorporated.
- Then add the 1 cup sour cream and 1 tsp vanilla to the stand mixer and beat until all wet ingredients are fully incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, combine the 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour, 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powdr, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp salt and stir to fully combine.
- Add 1/4 of the dry ingredients mixture into the stand mixer and turn on the mixer on the lowest power setting until the dry ingredients are just combined with the wet, then add in 1/4 more at a time until all of the dry ingredients are added to the wet. Try to limit the amount of mixing as you do not want to overmix your dough once flour is added otherwise you’ll end up with a tougher cookie.
- Remove the bowl from the stand mixer and add in the chocolate chips to the dough and fold in by hand with a spatula until the chips are evenly distributed through the dough.
- Using a spoon or an ice cream scoop, scoop out dough into balls and drop onto a parchment or Silpat lined baking sheet.
- Place the cookies into the oven at 375F on the middle rack and bake for 10 – 12 minutes. You’ll know the cookies are done when you press touch the top of a cookie and it doesn’t leave an indent in the cookie.
- Once the cookies are done baking, transfer them to a wire cooling rack and allow them to cool for 5 minutes at least.
Keywords: chocolate, cookies, chocolate chip, baking, dessert, chewy, fudgy