A veggie-loaded version of a southern succotash made with beans, zucchini, and peppers in a zesty tomato broth. It’s a hearty soup perfect to pair with your favorite bread for dipping and it is also vegan and gluten free and keto friendly.
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 small white or yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 poblano pepper, diced (for mild flavor, sub green bell pepper)
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 medium yellow squash, diced
- 5 oz shelled edamame or lima beans (defrosted from frozen)
- 7 oz canned diced green chilies
- 14.5 oz canned petite diced tomatoes
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- cilantro for garnish
- Heat 2 Tbs olive oil (or other neutral flavored oil) over medium high heat in a large dutch oven or soup pot
- Once the oil is heated, add 1 small diced onion, 1 diced red pepper, 1 diced yellow pepper and 1 diced poblano or green bell pepper and saute for 5 – 8 minutes until the vegetables are soft and fragrant.
- Next, add to the pot 1/4 tsp ground cumin and 1 tsp salt and stir to combine cooking for another 2 – 3 minutes until the cumin is more fragrant.
- Next, add the 2 diced zucchini, 1 diced yellow squash, 5 oz edamame or beans, 7 oz canned diced green chilies, 14.5 oz canned petite diced tomatoes and 2 cups of vegetable broth to the pot of sauteed vegetables and allow the soup to come to a simmer.
- Once simmering, turn the heat on the stove down to medium low heat and allow the soup to simmer for at least 20 minutes to allow the flavors to deepen or up to an hour. Anything longer than an hour and your vegetables will start to break down and disintegrate.
- Serve hot topped with fresh cilantro.
If you adhere to the recipe using zucchini and edamame, this is a keto friendly recipe with approximately 6 net carbs per serving. If you decide to sub in lima beans and corn instead, the carb count will increase significantly as those are starchier ingredients.
Keywords: succotash, soup, edamame, poblano, bell pepper, keto, gluten free, vegan