A quick recipe for leftover oatmeal cookies that uses up leftover oatmeal mixed together with dried fruit. It’s an easy and healthy snack recipe!
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 Tbs lemon juice
- 1 cup prepared (leftover) oatmeal
- 4 oz chopped or small dried fruit
- Prepare oatmeal according to package directions, reserving 1 cup for the cookie recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Combine together in a large bowl the 2 cups of flour, 2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and 1/2 tsp salt and set to the side.
- In a medium bowl, combine the softened butter and brown sugar and blend with a hand mixer until fully incorporated and lightened in color. Will appear to be slightly fluffy.
- Add the 2 eggs and 2 Tbs lemon juice to the butter and sugar mixture and continue to mix with the hand mixer until fully incorporated and no more of the yolks are visible.
- Next, add the 1 cup of leftover oats to the wet ingredients mixture and beat until fully incorporated.
- Then pour the oats mixture into the dry ingredients bowl and mix together. Be careful not to over-mix or it will make your cookies a little tough.
- Next, fold in the dried fruits to the dough. Sometimes I use my hands because it’s a thicker dough and mixing with your hands can be easier.
- Scoop 2 oz balls of dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 12 – 15 minutes in the preheated oven at 350F. The cookies should be fully cooked through and slightly browned on top.
- Remove the cookies once fully baked and allow to cool at least 5 minutes on a cooling rack.
- Optional: top the cookies with grated lemon lemon zest to be fancy
These will keep for up to four days at room temperature in an airtight container.
They can be frozen for up to 3 months in an airtight container.
Keywords: oatmeal, oats, leftovers, dried fruit, lemon, baking, cookies