Homemade Chicken Noodle Casserole has noodles, chunks of white meat chicken and peas in an easy creamy sauce, topped with a crispy parmesan breadcrumb topping make this a wonderful weeknight meal.
- 1/2 white or yellow onion, diced
- 2 Tbs butter
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 Tbs all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1. 5 cups sour cream
- 16 oz chicken, cooked and diced
- 4oz wide egg noodles (measured dry and prepared according to package)
- 5 oz (1 cup) frozen peas, still frozen
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Melt 2 Tbs butter in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat and add 1/2 diced onion, 1/4 tsp garlic salt, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp ground black pepper. Saute 5 to 7 minutes, until the onion is softened and fragrant.
- Add 2 Tbs all purpose flour to the softened onions and stir to combine, cooking for one minute.
- Next, slowly pour in the 3/4 cup chicken broth and 1 cup milk, and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Then add in the 1.5 cups sour cream.
- Once the mixture has thickened, remove it from the heat and fold in the 16 oz cooked diced chicken breast, cooked egg noodles, and the frozen peas.
- Pour the mixture into a 2 quart baking dish and sprinkle 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese and 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs evenly over the top of the casserole.
- Cover the casserole with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes covered at 350F.
- After 30 minutes, remove the foil. The casserole should be bubbling along the edges. Let the casserole cook for an additional 15 minutes uncovered until the top is golden brown.
- Serve hot!
- This is best done in a 2 quart baking dish.
- The peas should be frozen when they’re added so that they remain green through the baking process.
Keywords: chicken noodle, egg noodles, casserole, chicken casserole, peas