An easy to follow recipe for an affordable holiday roast beef made with eye of round roast and a quick gravy made from the drippings.
- 1T sea salt or kosher salt
- 1T brown sugar
- 1T coarse ground black pepper
- 3 lb eye of round beef roast
- 2 Tbs oil
- 1/2 white onion chopped
- 2 Tbs butter
- 1 Tbs soy sauce
- 1 Tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 cup beef broth
- Combine the rub ingredients: 1 Tbs salt, 1 Tbs brown sugar and 1 Tbs ground black pepper. Then rub all over a 3 lb eye of round roast.
- Let the roast sit out for 30 minutes to become room temperature and allow the rub to soak in.
- Preheat your oven to 500F.
- Heat a cast iron pot or heavy skillet over medium high heat with 2 Tbs oil. Once it’s heated up, sear the meat 2 minutes per side until all sides are seared and browned.
- Place the roast in an oven safe dish and place it uncovered in the preheated oven. Or, if you prefer, you can leave the roast in the pan it was seared in, if it’s oven safe.
- Once you close the oven door with the roast inside, turn off the heat completely, leaving the roast in there with the oven door closed until the meat comes to 125F. This might take an hour or up to three, depending on the size of roast you select. A 3lb roast generally takes one hour. I generally check the roast after an hour to check the temperature.
- Once the roast has reached an internal temp of 125F, remove the roast from the oven, place it on a meat-safe carving board and allow it to rest at least 20 minutes up to 45 minutes.
- While the meat is resting, heat the skillet that roasted the beef over a medium high heat and add in 1/2 chopped onion and 2 Tbs butter, stirring to scrape up the beef drippings. If you didn’t cook the meat in the pan that you used for searing, be sure to collect the drippings from the beef and add them to the pan you used for searing the meat and use that to saute the onions in the butter.
- Once the onions are soft, add in 1 Tbs soy sauce, 1 Tbs red wine vinegar, and 1 cup of beef broth. Allow this mixture to come to a simmer and allow to simmer for approximately 10 minutes or until the sauce has reduced and is slightly thickened. Once it’s reduced, use a hand blender or a regular blender to blend the mixture until smooth. At this point, the sauce is ready to serve. You can continue to simmer on the stove it to further reduce it, or serve it right away. Or, if you aren’t eating right away, you can put the sauce on low heat on the stove and keep it covered.
- Finally, once your roast has fully rested, slice up your roast into 1/2 in thick slices and serve with the sauce.
Keywords: beef, eye of round roast, beef roast, holiday recipes, holiday entree, Christmas dinner