An easy version of Chicken a la King in a creamy sauce with mushrooms and peppers. Serve it over noodles, rice, or any kind of bread for a satisfying weeknight dinner.
- 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1/4 cup butter
- 8oz button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 2 Tbs all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1.5 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Place 1.5 lbs of boneless skinless chicken breasts on a baking sheet covered in tin foil. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and drizzle evenly over the chicken with 2 Tbs olive oil. Place the chicken in the oven on the middle rack and allow it to bake in the oven for 20 – 30 minutes. Chicken will be done when it reaches an internal temperature of 165F. Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the oven and allow it to cool off. Once cool enough to handle, cut the chicken into 3/4 to 1 inch cubes.
- Once the chicken comes out of the oven, put a dutch oven or other large heavy-bottom pot over medium high heat on the stove. Add 1/4 cup butter, 8oz sliced button mushrooms, 1 diced green bell pepper, and 1 diced red bell pepper to the pot and sauté the vegetables until soft and fragrant, approximately six to eight minutes. Be sure to stir the vegetables fairly regularly so that they don’t burn. The temperature is rather high so as to get a little bit of color on the vegetables and the bottom of the pot.
- Next, stir in 2 Tbs all purpose flour and 1/2 tsp salt and keep stirring so that it coats all of the vegetables evenly and doesn’t burn.
- Next, slowly pour in the 1.5 cups of chicken broth while stirring. The pot will sizzle a bit when you first start pouring in the broth. Continue pouring and stirring until all of the broth is added. Allow the sauce to comet to a simmer at which point you’ll see the sauce thicken (see photo above in blog post for the consistency).
- Once the sauce is slightly thickened and smooth, add in the diced chicken that you cooked and 1/4 cup of sour cream and stir until fully combined.
- Once the mixture comes to a simmer, lower the heat to low and cover with a lid. Allow it to cook over low for at least 10 minutes up to an hour to develop flavors.
- Serve the Chicken a la King hot over noodles, rice, or toasted bread.
- Optional: garnish with chopped parsley.
- You can use pre-cooked chicken to speed up the cook time. Shredded rotisserie chicken is a great option!
Keywords: Chicken, chicken dinner, cream sauce, peppers, chicken a la king